
Good morning!
Some days ago me and Niclas in Alyson avenue talked about the older days when we recorded music. We started playing together in Alyson in 1989 and then there weren´t the same modern equipment as now. When we rehearsed we used to record our songs straight into a cassette tape player and I remember I just let that tape roll so when listening to the songs and the rehearsal in a whole you could hear our laughter, our random "b-shit talking" and also of course when we made songs.
Back in those days we made songs by sitting down in the rehearsing room and someone, usually Niclas who played the keyboard, came up with a melody. Then we started "jamming" the songs, seeing where it went and while they were playing on and on, I started to try and get some vocal melody and lyrics to the song. Sometimes we made half a song and then it didnt end up being a song we used, but most of the times the songs came alive and we played them week after week, year after year;=)
Our first real demo was recorded in a studio and we all joined for a weekend together. We played the songs together a couple of times before I did my vocal parts all alone, cheered by the guys, who sat in a close by room and giving me heads up every time they thought it sounded great;=)

At this time the recordings were done on a reel to reel recorder. Not like today, into a computer;=) I still remember the sound of the hoop starting and stopping. Nostalgia, I know, but I am THAT old...haha!!
Fun old times and I must say sometimes it was better the way it was. No matter todays great modern ways of releasing music, music still is about good melodies and songs people can attach to in some way. I love accoustic music so much and the use of real instruments and thats the way I want my music to be;=)
Enjoy the day now!
...the times they are a changin' -Bob Dylan
ReplyDeleteHi Anette,
Well said as in Bravo, you've got my support if it is in fact...how you want to sound. Real music comes from the heart, and the appreciation of the same. Your type of music can be very much my type of music, I just love music...ALL kinds.
Stand your ground, do only as you believe.
lots of love
Gary
I so agree, Anette! Good melodies and real instruments, that's still what makes good music. :) And lots of inspiration! I've listened to some old studio sessions that are given out, like Beatles and Abba for example, and I love to hear that random b-shit talking and spontaneus jokes. Then you can hear a little bit better what it's like to work at the studio.
ReplyDeleteHave a nice day!
I still love to listen LP records, the sound is so unique, as if you can almost touch the music
ReplyDeleteBy the way your post remind of something:
Nettan, did you know that the new Foo Fighters album was recorded like the old days?
Dave Grohl decided to record the whole thing in tape, and it sounds AMAZING, you should hear!
The album is called "Wasting Light", they also released a documentary of history the band and the processs, its pretty cool.
Have a lovely day!
;***
Yeah, all things change in time, but as long as passion is still in the making of the music, everything is possible.
ReplyDeleteHave a nice day!
Well I was born in 94 so I grew up with the digital stuff. But I bet it was funny to hear that random talking in between the songs!
ReplyDeleteI do prefer the computers though, most probably because it was what was used since I was born.
However I do remember: when I was little I loved picking up cassetes and pulling the magnetic tape out, haha, I was terrible!
Hi dear Anette,
ReplyDeleteThanks for this tribute to the origins of music.
Like all beginnings, it seems to us strange when we look at it now however without this starting point we could never have so much progress in technology ;)
Music rules and here are its origins =D>
Thanks a lot for your beautiful songs Anette,
Love them both and we want more;=)
Have a nice evening princess!
@};-
Hello Anette !
ReplyDeleteWell,i don't know too much how you and other musicians recorded songs back then because i didn't existed in those times xD Ehehe
But i think that in those years the music was better than is today because now the musicians use too much playback and that stuff (usually in Pop music) and they care too much to be unique with their clothes ... But i'm glad that usually Metal or Rock bands are different,that's why i prefer more heavy music but that doesn't means that i also don't like some Pop,Techno...People shouldn't like only one musical genre !
Thanks for talking about your memories,it's very interesting ! :D
Kisses and Hugs from Portugal
Liliana
i love this post! good music should be like this: real instruments, good lyrics, intense melodies and a good singer.
ReplyDeletehaha, Those days...as if I were alive then and remembered :/
ReplyDeleteIt must have been a lot harder then, which makes the musicians all the more admirable. I mean, it was more of a big deal to get a good song...
Take care