...have increased in Swedish schools between years 2008 to 2011 with 104%, the newspaper Metro writes in an article.
According to their article, reports of bullying increases in the schools in Sweden and more schools are getting lots of criticism because they are lacking in their work to improve the environment in their schools. There´s also flaws when it comes to how they follow up the cases.
- The most common report is that students insults other students and that the adults can't make the insults to stop. The adults don't take the students seriously. They trivialize the events. The easiest is to think of the children as adults instead. How many adults would put up with being exposed to extreme offensive insults and violence, says Carl Gustav Sidenqvist, school expert in School inspection.
Since october 2009 its easier to report through School inspections web site. Students know their rights and possibilities to report, says Caroline Dyrefors Grufman.
Here´s the whole article in Swedish
And here´s my comment after reading this:
So, good to know more students know their rights and actually do file a report when they are bullied here in Sweden. Thats good news! But its sad to read that there´s still so many schools who doesn't take this serious and still trivialize bullying. I do hope it will change soon!
Tuesday, 23 October 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Anette,
ReplyDeleteI really think that for some teachers and headmasters bullying isn't a big problem.
I leave the school three years ago and once a week we had a meeting from all class representatives and our mentor and we speak about problems like this!
But this was the only teacher, you, as a pupil know, that he is really intrested in you and your problems. Many teachers think that their job end after school bell. But i think they should "have a ear" everytime.
Really sad...
Alex
You're always more cute Nettie...I didn't know you experienced bullying in the past (if I read correctly in one of your answers)...That's horrible, I know that...But now you've become so strong and...You had the force to get out of that...And now you're wanderfull! :)
ReplyDeleteI wanted to share those two songs with you...they always make me think about that...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL2ZwXj1tXM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RBWdZ-VRIM
Hope you'll enjoy them...
Love!
Anette my dear,if some schools IN SWEDEN dont take this serious just imagine the freakin mess that happens here in Brazil. not that much in my town but in the big cities like Rio or SP, teachers can't say NO BULLYING IS NOT A GOOD THING, YOU'RE WRONG, DON'T DO THIS because then happens students hitting teachers when they try to stop these kids, theres also PARENTS hitting TEACHERS because their kids grade wasn't good enough, kids going into school with arms, knives, alcohol, drugs and somehow the teachers can't do a thing because their are terrified by these lovely kids, that happens usually in the slums but it's just absurd for our country.. theres a report las month i think that a 12 years old if i remember well, went to school with a bottle of ' water ' and after a few hours this kid passed out and guess what? he was in alcoholic coma because he brought vodka and not water .. I love my country a lot, and i think there's a lot of good things here but education is fucked up, bullying happens a lot and what makes me PISSED OF is that parents think it's ok, bullying is ok.. kids do that all the time, why should i care, right? and they keep having more and more kids, like rats or something. sorry i went i little bit out of track here but i think you understand haha
ReplyDeleteTake care sweetie :)
As you said,this article is both good and bad.It's sad to see that bullying is still such a huge part of people's lives.At the same time,it's great to see that these things are getting reported!Probably,if they didn't,the amount of bullying would seem lower,but it wouldn't be true.So,I guess,it's better to face this hard truth,because it means that kids and everyone generally is eventually understanding that bullies and bullying need to be reported.That's a very important thing!Reports and knowledge are the only thing that can somehow stop bullies,so that's the way to go.Good job,Sweden!
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing!
xx
Hello there! I recently found an article with tips on how to handle a bully. Maybe it will be useful to someone.
ReplyDeleteLink:
http://www.chacha.com/gallery/3578/how-should-you-handle-a-bully
Hi Anette!
ReplyDeleteI just read you havent receive my package :'(
Actually I sent an email to your management months ago and they said they already gave it to you. But when I met you in April you told me you havent receive anything!
And I remember they moved few months after I sent it. Maybe they've lost it :'(
I give you the adress in a private comment so they can search for it maybe!
Love & Hugs
Maybe they relly on the fact that they had a thought childhood so must you, if i hadn't a bike when i was your age why should you have, and so on. The famous School of Hard Knocks. I mean dealing with idiots and difficult situations is healthy but there is a big difference between that and the situation described above. And all that for what?, what is the whole system good for anyway?, 90% of kids they just live to pass an exam and school i think is a waste of time. The big majority ends up school cheating and so what are shools breeding? I have a friend (or had, i am very selective) at university who always cheated exams and I always borrowed him my homeworks but one day I said no, "I worked my butt on this" wanted to add "parasite of society" but didn't want to be cruel and he became angry "ask me something in the future i will not help you", he was relying on i don't know, fate of destiny? my sense of guilt? Well, i have no sense of guilt because i live my life honestly and i don't have narcisistic desires to indulge.
ReplyDeleteSo as long as there is people who live between layers of lies and self deception I don't think this problem will disapear. One particular case, well it is various but i have to put them toghether, a guy threatened a teacher with a knife but he was not expelled because the principal (she) said "and who is going to pay our salary?" but one classmate of mine was expeled because he didn't want to participate in some stupid festival in the school, one of the best students by the way. I was threatened to be expelled for abandoning the choir the principal said "once you are in you cannot retire" WTH?? So i went to see the teacher of musics and he surprised me because i thought he was my friend but he arrogantly said "well, your grads are paper you come back or you will fail, notes can change any minute", went back to the principal, the same story. So I was under blackmill. BUt they forgot that i was not the average teenager and I stood up for my rights, the choir let me with a serious pain on my throat every session anyway, we were not taught propperly. So i was walking from one office to another, principal and musics teacher all over but i just mentioned the issue to all proffessors i knew just in case, being a good student has its advantages. ANyway I just ended up tired and i made a final visit to both and told them "i will not go back to the choir and if i see a grade different than the average of my exams i will go to the authorities" The principal said "you will fail the asignature no matter what", but at the end I passed, I think they forgot about it or they took my warning seriously. Can anybody figure it out? I mean they didn't get rid of a violent guy but wanted to get rid of two good students who refused to participate in a lame event that schools board just made up. I remember we were constantly bullied by the board (we I mean the whole class), we were very united, we were not the best but didn't deserve the hell we've been trought, we had no bullies but the treatment was like hell, we had to stood up undless times under the sun for stupid reasons, we had to stay at school after hours as punishment for stupid reasons. One friend of mine who is a little clumzy accidentally hurt a youger kid, he did not see him and made the kid fall and broke his little arm, my friend was suspended for a week for it, it was an acident. I once gave a friend a friendly push with my fist and I received a warning (two ore and i was out) they said i was too big and i was bulling this kid, c'mon, even my friend spoke upon my favour me and they thought i was threating him. But still, reall gangsters received no warning at all.
So as long as this people who only care their paycheck is in charge, the problem will not vanish.
It's me again...SORRY!
ReplyDeleteI just had a quick look into my papers, trying to find the paper the post office gave me when I sent the package but I guess I put it away, thinking it was useless more than a year!
But tommorow (or when you reply) I'll go to the post office and ask them if they have something on their computer about it... All I need is the adress of your management, the former adress as I sent it to the previous one!
It would help me a lot, without it I cant ask anything :/
Love & HUGS
Hi Anette! It's good to read this kind of posts so that people can be aware of what's going on in other country's school. Here in Argentina, many schools have bullying problems. Students not only insult others but they also fight physically and in most of the cases the school's authorities do nothing about this situations. In my school I've heard a lot of bullying situations and it's really annoynig being disable to do something.
ReplyDeleteI hope that someday we can stand together against bullying, because it's detroying us as a society.
Take care :) Best wishes and big hugs from Argentina!
Natalia
Thank you Anette for constantly bringing this important issue on the table!
ReplyDeleteI am your fan and many other things, but most of all, I am a youth worker dealing with the bullying and abusing in my field of expertise and I cannot emphasize enought how important it is to raise the conversation about those things.
Adults (teachers, youth workers, assistants, parents..) have the responsibility to protect the children and get involved. Abuse is not normal behaviour and should not be considered harmless in any way!
Thank you again and have a nice day! :)
Hi Anette I hope you sleep well tonight me yes !
ReplyDeleteI want to ask you I don't know if you have my gift but I give you It here
http://i48.tinypic.com/2hmg3v6.jpg
I hope you like It Anette ;-)
Thanks
Love
Isa
This gift is from http://anetteolsson.forumactif.com/
I agree with you. It's great that students are finally standing up/trying to stand up for themselves! When I was being bullied, teachers would simply not believe or just smile and say "surely, the boy just likes you/ they are just having fun, don't mind them". It's good to know that the reports are being filled and thus, more people start paying attention to it.
ReplyDeleteHi again Anette this is your second blog here http://anetteolzon2.blogspot.fr ?
ReplyDeleteThanks love
Isa
Bullying is such a big problem in the world and it's so sad that people are waiting for bad stuff to happen (Amanda Todd, Sophie Lancaster) in order to wake up and see what's going on. Only after Amanda died everybody talked about how amazing she was and how they loved her and all.
ReplyDeleteI hope the teachers and parents will see when there is a bullying problem and do something about it.
i wanted to share with you and everybody this AMAZING song and video by Pink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocDlOD1Hw9k&list=UUXJDX1KK6t121Z9FLhu5o2A&index=39&feature=plpp_video
i try to wake up every morning, look in the mirror and to LOVE what i see. it's hard sometimes but this song and video helps me a lot.
Hello Anette and thanks for sharing this article with us!
ReplyDeleteI don't know how it is in Sweden and other countries, but in Romania, where I am from, there's this subject we study in middle school, something translateable as "civic education". So, basically, the teacher has one hour each week to talk about various issues of society, human relationships and people's behavior. Unfortunately this subject has always been seen as very "optional", to put it so. By students, parents and other teachers equally. Never taken too seriously. I think if there WAS such a subject in every school, and would be taught seriously and respected, it could be used to raise awareness against this issue of bullying as well. Maybe put in a milder light somehow, like telling children how to act, how to play, how to joke so that they don't hurt each others' feelings. I think it would be helpful in order to build better adults in the future.
I think the whole system is mest up. Just put a bunch of fully loaded with hormons people and lock 'em into a confinated space against their will and force them to do anything but what they really like and the criminal instinct will come out. No I am not talking about a prisson, I am talking about schools wich they all have a prisson scheme. I mean what crime do we have commited to be encarcerated so young? Or is it about the original sin we inherited from Adam and Eve? Any of you have ever been a Scout? Or went to a soccer academy? Or attending at an art school? The conditions are the same at school, the people is flesh and bones and why there is no bulling on those activities? Originally Scouts was ment to replace traditional education system because it was a much better way of education based on example, off course who would like it if the system only breeds stagecoach horses? Scouts was based on the british military academy and why the red jackets were so effective? Well part of it is because instructors cannot ask their cadettes to do something they cannot do themselves.
ReplyDeleteRemember the prison experiment, the participants showed off the worst of them at day 1. Under the propper circumstances anyone can wake up the criminal instinct and the mentaly weak are the easiest prey. Put a mentally weak kid under the worst conditions and he'll become a bully, I bet a hand, an eye and my CD collection on it. School just sucks.
Hello Anette,
ReplyDeleteAt my high school,we have these videos that people do every month. For this month, they had a segment on bullying. Where these two kids dressed up as monsters and were harassing two humans. So the humans decided to tell the counselor, as cheesy the segment. It actually made me quite thrilled that my school did something like.
I just hope more schools in the states will start promoting that students need to stand up for them and tell someone about it.
That bullying happens in Sweden, and in my country, and alllll over the world, it makes me think it is a much bigger problem. It is something deeply seeded in us, and related to human nature as a whole. I wonder why we, as humans, are like this. I can admit to intentionally insulting others from time to time, too.
ReplyDeleteHi Anette! Do you already have my email about bullying?
ReplyDeleteThank you for the article!
ReplyDeleteHere is an another piece of news from Estonia: http://www.iltalehti.fi/ulkomaat/2012102416245019_ul.shtml
It's in Finnish and I don't know if you have to same in Sweden but the point is that there's a video spreading in Internet where two girls are beating one another girl (they all are 12 years!) in the classroom. The girls are for example kicking their victim and hitting her with their fists and belts. During the video they are planning how they would batter her without any signs. They are encouraging each others to hit her. The girls shooted the video themselves. The reason (actually it's not any reason) was that the teasers wanted that the girl would have brought cigarettes to school and she didn't so they decided to beat her.
Now this video case is a scandal in Estonia and due to it many other bullying cases has came into daylight. People are discussing about criminalizing bullying. What do you think about it?
I haven't seen the video but very sad and cruel things are happening. The doers are proud of themselves instead of having remorse or emphaty. :(
Hi Anette,
ReplyDeleteI don't know whether we still continue with the bullying debate, but I'd give it a go anyway, cause I wonder what you yourself think about this.
As I mentioned earlier, my sister had some sort of a mandatory anti-bullying workshop at her school and part of it was a public debate about bullying, where a guy (senior class) said that he believes some minor form of bullying is good for kids. He stated that he himself was bullied as a kid, cause he transfered from different school and never really made new friends there, so he was just the weird kid no one liked. He said that it was a good experience for him and he is now grateful for it, because it made him tough and able to stand for himself. It turned out that this is quite a popular opinion and ven some amount of teachers share it. Of course they all think that hard physical bullying is bad and shouldn't be happening, but, and I quote, "some minor nudging and a little bit of harsh words just help the kids realize that life itself is tough, and world is hostile and not a nice place to live; and that children have to learn to deal with this 'soft bullying' and get sharp elbows, take care of themselves, cause when they grow up, no one's gonna be there for them either and without the painful experiences from eralier, they wouldn't now how to swim in the real world; and that the sooner they are stripped of their illusions about the world, the better."
I can't really agree with that. I think this view is actually one of the reasons 'world is tough and hostile', because we decided to reconcile with this kind of attitude. But I wonder about your opinion - you have said yourself that the experience with bullying did make you stronger person after all. :)
Hope you and your guys are having a great time!
Lots of hugs and positive energy,
Marcela :)
Hello,Anette.I am new in the blog.Its an honor to be here.
ReplyDeleteYou are a incredible person.That kind of posts makes aware of the situation in many schools around the world.This is a big problem,that need all the possible attention.Bullying really make you pass for horrible experiences and somethimes they are hard to cure.I know how is,because i still on the age of 15.A time ago i have helped a friend of mine who was suffering that horrible and cruel thing.Thank the god,the agressor were kicked out of the school.I still talk to him and his family telling them that i will help in anyways i can
Bullying and abuses are horrible things for a human to practice,but i really know that there are really good people,that wish to help each other.
I am your fan Anette.