Saturday, 27 June 2009

Once there was


Once there was a girl with golden hair
She was born with a voice and she loved to use it
As she grew older she tried many different ways to use the voice
But every time she felt that she just wanted so scream, to rock

The teachers said: you should sing opera, your voice is such a strong voice!
But she just shook her head and continued to use her voice as she was born to

She listened to many singers, tried to do as they did.
Sometimes she felt good, sometimes not so good

She sang in many bands, many choirs, did many recordings and she dreamed of being that girl
that could sing every day, all the time for ever more...

Then one day, just like Cinderella, she got her dream
She got a job in a big world-known band
She was so happy
She sang every day
She sang out of joy
She loved to make the people happy
She loved to make herself happy

Then many people said: you should sing more opera!
You should sing more classic
You should stop that screaming

But still she just shook her head and sang just like she had always done.
Like she was born to do, like she loved to do and in the way she knew she was happy;=)

(photo by James van Nguyen)

77 comments:

  1. "You should sing more classic
    You should stop that screaming"

    Haha, in their face :-D Dont ever stop screaming <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, this story reminds me of someone, just can't figure out who.. :)

    Hope you stay happy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man ska göra det man känner för och det man vill. då kommer man längst! Forsätt på det sättet så kommer du ännu längre och lycka till.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really nice poem. :)
    Just stay yourself, Anette! We love you the way you are and FOREVER! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep rockin' on just as you are, Anette. Your passion and joy infect your voice and your performances and that's a beautiful thing that no one can take away from you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scream your lungs out baby!!! :)

    You go girl and we will support you <3

    Well, I adore Tarja and her voice but I also adore you and your voice even if I like more this classical style. You have really show to me that you can sing extremely good without being classical trained.

    You "screamed" your way into my heart and thank you for that :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice story ;-)
    I think the most important thing is "sang just like she had always done. Like she was born to do, like she loved to do and in the way she knew she was happy;=)"

    So, stay the way you are ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww thats lovely!

    great pic too

    your cat is really cute :)

    Love the new pc! I used to sell those (used to work in PC World lol)

    have a nice weekend!

    Amy UK

    ReplyDelete
  9. hello anette i'm really proud of you this story is little sad but it's ok !:D take care!:)Hope you're doing just fine it's sound be that story is about eva ?? why i feel somtimes like that in different ways i don't know if you remember the guestbook fans area i was death for one period of time then they stole my name !

    ReplyDelete
  10. cute story, really enjoyed it hehe :)

    Tuomas once said in an interview that he don't want you to change, and neither do we :D
    So, stay the way you are ;-) [2]

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. And this is why I love Anette Olzon. You 're doing just what you like and what makes you happy. You're being yourself and this is really good. I really love your voice! And I support you beacouse of this: you are yourself (I hope this makes sence). Keep doing what you like and what makes you happy because you're awsome!

    Kisses,
    Lugui Rocha

    ReplyDelete
  12. ..
    and the crowd came and saw
    her screaming like hell,
    and they liked it.
    And so they hailed her
    with hepping without end,
    the girl born to rock.


    Okay i stop now ;=)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aww, well don't change, because we
    love you how you are!
    Screaming or not, you're you and why
    change when the people who matter most
    don't want you to?
    Scream as much as you want, because you've
    screamed your way into a dream come true
    and into the hearts of people
    who will always love you no matter what.
    Your singing makes many people so happy!

    Hugs and love, Katie T.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aww thats sweet :D Thanks for posting it.

    Your powerful voice still amazes me Anette :)

    hugs from Lisa xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love you for that : because you sing with your heart & you give me a lot of joy! ♥
    You're very nice person.Thanks for being yourself! :)

    Kiss
    Justine

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's so sweet!
    In São Paulo - Brazil - november 7th 2008, I wrote in a little card (and threw it together with a panda bear) that YOU made NW my favourite band ever! And that's just because you sing through your heart, in a particular way that I have never heard before. Keep rocking! I love U =D

    ReplyDelete
  17. really nice story!
    i can't discribe how much i love your voice..and don't listen to people who say things like: "you should sing more opera! You should sing more classic. You should stop that screaming" you're beautiful!!!

    kisses ♥

    P.S. this photo of you is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. :)

    I love your voice...but now you've made me curious!! I want to hear what you'd sound like with one Opera song >_<;; ^_^;

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anette,
    you are a brilliant,
    your voice is perfect and fills me with happiness.
    Continue this way forever.
    kisses

    Lud

    ReplyDelete
  20. You're really amazing. We love you, keep on rocking, keep on hepping, keep on ANETTING;-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. You know what!!! I love YOUR voice, and the way YOU sing NW-songs, both old and new ones! I used to... well, kind of like Nightwish, but not so much that I would bother to buy all their albums or go to their concert. When you came, I turned 17 again. I went crazy! :D Suddenly I understood their music, when you sang the songs. I found the joy in it, and sorrow as well, and all kind of feelings. I can't wait to see you again, and I must say that you make me happy every day! First because of your voice and music, now because of many many things. :)) YOU ROCK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's beautiful....and I hope one day that can be what I'm saying...bc of you. I think I said it all in the letter I gave you at Brixton..and it really would be bc of you. Thank you for inspiring me Anette...*hugs*

    It's truly a beautiful story..and it's so much more beautiful bc it's a fairytale that came true. :-)

    Holly xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful!!! Soooo wonderful!!! I cried when i read it!
    Hugs

    Ena

    ReplyDelete
  24. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! Though for some reason you wrote that piece of poetry in third person, we know EXACTLY who is, and we're really proud of you, and very thankful for what you have gave us as an artist. You're really brave at describing yourself like this and letting the world know how you feel about all the things people said. You know, the words reflect the soul of the writter... and yours is worthy of admiration =)

    And no matter what you sang or the technique you use as lons as you do it with your heart.
    Turn a deaf dear to foolish comments, and tell them "kiss my f*cking *ss in D-minor!" \m/ (well, maybe not, that's a little bit vulgar and you're a lady =P )

    You rock!
    tons of hugs!
    Paz

    ReplyDelete
  26. That's the spirit! Just keep on doing what makes you Happy ^^

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi, Nettan. I love your first dress that you used in France. And I think that your little history is very lovely too..

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. WOW! I really liked to read this! <3
    This was really good story :D And I loved this, you must to start write storys or fairytales :D
    You really are very good to tell things, truly.

    But now to that story :
    I don´t know what to say.. I´m touched.
    You are wonderful singer and wonderful person. You must to do what YOU really want, that way which you have made from beginning for this day. I anyhow love that way :)
    And I really love you and your voice and singing! <3

    Hugs to you, sweet Anette <3

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi there :)
    Oh i love this post! so true!
    And this pic... it's one of the concerts in Paris, one of the best memories in my life :)
    You know i admire you a lot, during these 2 years you proved many times that you deserved to be in the group.
    And i can just imagine that sometimes it was terribly hard but you did it :)
    I'm so happy to have such person like you in my favorite band, today i listened a lot of live nightwish song and said to myself " i really like her voice, she really sings with her hearth"
    Never change the way you are please :)
    Take care <3

    ReplyDelete
  30. It's a really wonderfull ode.it affect my heart and it's such a great thing that you became NW singer. It would be a shame if you wouldn't you got me back to NW and you changed many people. You have a seraphic voice (my opinion) and you created nightwish new.it seems to be with so much more fun and positive vibes, you bring so much more fun and happiness into the music, so much more love for what you are doing, much more heart.
    You have had made the best of it.
    You are a great person and the best selection that the band could do.

    Just stay as you are and keep on smiling with makes other people happy

    Have a nice evening and night


    Verena

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hello beautiful Anette!

    I agree with people here!

    We love you the way You are. No need for a change ever!!!

    You're a very talented woman and a wonderful person. We don't want you to be a copy of someone. Please stay always true to yourself!

    <3
    Karolina

    ReplyDelete
  32. That's the spirit! Keep doing what you love the most, Anette =).
    You're wonderful, talented and unique. Never forget that we love you =).

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  33. Dear Anette,

    I am so glad to hear you are so happy with what you are doing because it makes us happy as well.

    Your post tonight matches the post I made on my own blog this afternoon about you so well:

    http://katrins-little-blog-at.blogspot.com/2009/06/anette-olzon-angel-with-angels-voice.html

    And I agree with what Karolina said: stay true to yourself, it makes you special!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Must write some more words. I love many kinds of music, if I feel it comes right from the heart. And that's what I feel when you sing. You can scream, you can whisper, you can even cry or lose your voice - when it comes from the heart, it touches many many people. It's like reading a book or look at the painting - there's just that little something that makes you cry or laugh, dance or scream... whatever. It takes you. And that's why I just love you and your interpretations. If you understand what I try to say... You have such a good contact to the crowd when you're on stage. It's awesome to see. You're a real talent. :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hello Anette :)
    I like your way of thinking :) Staying true to yourself no matter what others might say, this is what I believe in as well. You're talented and it is a great pleasure to see you perform. Can't wait to see you and the guys again in less then a week now :)
    I wish you a nice evening,
    Tanja

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hej!

    Väldigt vacker historia. Du behöver inte ändra något för att alla dina fans tycker om dig precis som du är.
    När jag hörde dig sjunga Amaranth för första gången så kände jag all den här positiva energin som du alltid lägger ner i alla låtar som du sjunger. Du kommer alltid att ha min support och alla andras som skriver till dig genom den här bloggen.
    Vi älskar dig<3

    Massor med kramar från mig!

    //Ellinor

    ReplyDelete
  37. I understand your choice, classic would be great, but you have a such wonderful voice like that ! =)
    When Nightwish guys have chosen you, they made the best choice of the band's story, I think.
    Please continue to make us dreaming with your lovely voice !

    ReplyDelete
  38. This is awesome, Anette!!!

    I LOVE your voice, I would have flat-out ignored Nightwish and the wonderful music had a Tarja-clone been chosen. I ADORE your voice and can't thank you enough for getting me singing again, almost there and wishing i could find something local that's half as awesome as Nightwish :)
    love and respect

    ReplyDelete
  39. Aww, I loved that, Anette. I love your singing so much and I'd hate to see it changed just because of what some people say. Your strength is amazing. You know who you are, and that's great XD.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oh, that was so beautiful.=)
    We adore you just the way you are and just the way you sing. Your singing is so strong, emotional and beautiful.
    There's not anybody else whom I'd prefer as the vocalist of my favourite band. And it's only a big plus that you're Swedish!

    Sonia from Finland ;)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hej Anette!
    Great post! =) You have all my respect, love and support for being true to yourself always! =) I have said it many times: don't ever change, because nothing could be better than what you already are! =) I'm very happy to know that you're happy with your life. You deserve all the best. Thanks for showing us the power of being ourselves =)
    Love and hugs,
    Elisa

    ReplyDelete
  42. Anette you are definitley one of the most lovely person I ever saw!
    You are sweety, honest, you are a sparkling light, full of charisma...you are genuine.
    And this is what makes who you are, so please, you never change anyhting because of other people, you change only the things you want to, because yourself and if you think is better for you and your beloved ones.
    We love you exactly as you are, too bad for the people that are blind enough to not see the wonderful person they are missing.

    Lots of love from Brazil

    Cyntia

    ReplyDelete
  43. I love your voice... it taught me a lot... when I heard your take on the older Nightwish songs it made me realise that I don't have to imitate my favourite singers to be a good vocalist, and in fact it's better if I don't... I've definetely become myself a lot more, so thank you xx
    Never stop rocking :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. Awww, you brought tears to my eyes :)

    You, with all your bravery, charisma and joy, always makes me think that I need to go for my dream, to be a singer and sing the way I want to. No matter what others say, or what I sometimes think, that I can't, that I'm not talented at all or so.
    Thank you so much, Anette, for doing your wonderful job and being this great girl that you are!
    Never stop being this lovely person, or change who you are because what others say or do!
    God bless you!

    I love you :)...greetings from Brazil!
    Mônica

    ReplyDelete
  45. Great post, Anette. You should sing in the way you feel comfortable with. Just be true to yourself and never change for other people. I love your voice and you are great for Nightwish.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Hey Anette!

    Love that poem!!!!! <3 You're amazing. You sing beautifully!!! Your voice is so enchanting and storyteller-like. NEVER change... and I know you won't :)

    Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  47. It's a nice poem.
    And I like the way you sing.
    Keep on doing your thing. Those who won't like it will miss a lot. There are always people who will like and dislike it.

    I'm with the like's ^^

    Lots of love from Belgium x3

    ReplyDelete
  48. It´s soo beautiful poem or maybe lyric.
    I love the way you sing, I love your voice and you don´t scream.
    When they say something like that they don´t listen carefully to your voice.
    Have sweet dreams and sleep well!
    Lots of love,
    Fay

    ReplyDelete
  49. I must say the very first time that seemed to me as lyrics for a song. That's
    so true and sweet and all about you =)

    ReplyDelete
  50. Anette You're so unique....I just love your voice the ways it is...! and people always search "A Metal Opera Diva"...but in my opnion we have so much "Metal Opera Divas", you have a voice of Disney Princess, You act just like a dancing girl in a garden collecting flowers....thats makes you unique mixed in all that metal scene.....but of course... You are a Princess which ROCKSSSSSSSS a LOTTTT!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  51. That was a really nice poem, Anette, it shows how much you follow your own way and go for the things you like and feel :)

    I think it's different when you want to try something new by your own. I'm sure other singers have had their bad moments getting used to what the composers want - I can think of the example when Tarja had to sing in a natural voice when she actually dislikes it and likes classical, it would just be the same if a non-classical singer saw herself forced to do it otherwise. Changing and innovating a bit is never bad, and I'm sure that if you really aimed at that you could chieve it, but changing you completely? hell no!! you're here to ROCK and that's why we love you :) I already like and appreciate the fact you're practising a bit more the head voice, especially for Ghost Love Score and such, but your belting kicks some major ass ;)

    Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  52. this is touching... i looove youuu!!! ;=)

    ReplyDelete
  53. "She loved to make the people happy" <3

    Love you \o/

    Greetings from a fan from Brazil.
    Take care.
    Fábio

    ReplyDelete
  54. Dearest Anette,

    This is one of the things that I love and admire the most about you-you are not afraid to be yourself and do what makes you happy and feels right, in spite of what anyone else may tell you. I know that I have said this to you before, but after reading this, I felt the need to say it again. You are truly and inspiration to so many people, myself included, and I am so, so thankful that Nightwish found you (and you found them) because it has given us all a chance to see the amazing person that you are, to hear the incredible songs that Tuomas has written in a whole new light, and be able to look forward to what you have to offer on the next album. Thank you so much for simply being who you are, and showing others that it's okay to go against what people tell you that you should do, as long as it makes you happy. You've proven everyone who told you that you "should" sing opera completely wrong, and are truly and amazing "rock chick" with an incredible voice. Good luck at the gig tomorrow, and I can't wait to see the videos so I can once again feel like I'm a part of it.

    Keep on rocking, and stay happy!
    Love always,
    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  55. You know, I've been thinking this for a long time, and I just feel the need to tell you this now.

    YOU are the reason I came to love Nightwish. Not Tarja...YOU.

    In January 2008, I was just hanging out on YouTube, watching some music videos, and I kept seeing "Nightwish" in the related videos section. So, I clicked on it, and guess which video it was? "Amaranth". And it was YOU that had me hooked within one verse. I think I played that video at least 50 times in the next week, because I could not get enough of the song and YOUR voice, your style, your persona, the song and the band.

    Now, of course, I read the comments (lol), and read all about what happened, and went to hear Tarja. Now, I like Tarja, too, but if I had heard her on that first video, before I had heard you, I don't think I would've been a Nightwish fan today. This isn't to bash Tarja, but there is a warmth in your voice that drew me in, and Tarja's voice just didn't. Now, I've come to appreciate her, and of course, all of Nightwish's music, and listen to all of it regularly. But it was you and your voice, just as it is, that drew me in, in the first place.

    I just wanted you to know that it was you, being YOU, that made me a Nightwish fan. And I hope and pray that you continue just being you, because you are so lovely in so many ways, and for me, selfishly, it's everything that you already are, and what you bring to Nightwish, that makes my heart sing when I listen to you singing. So yes, a little selfishly, I hope you just keep being you, not just for your well-being, but so I can enjoy your singing and your persona as a Nightwish and Anette Olzon fan. :D

    ReplyDelete
  56. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  57. You go, girl! I'm glad that you and the big world-known band found each other because you guys ROCK!

    This poem is awesome too :) And thank you for blogging. It's cool to read your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Haha, have to say that poem made me smile for some reason. I love both old and new Nightwish and I love to go to gigs and see all that good chemistry and warmth which you have on the stage with the guys. It really makes all the gigs even better.

    Im not the only one saying this but never change yourself and try to be someone who youre not. I dont understand why you should sing and sound more like Tarja. You are both great singers in your own way and Im very glad that you really have your own style and its not copying Tarja or anyone else.

    I really look forward to the next album which I know it will be great. And I look forward to your gig also in Seinäjoki:) (btw, I would LOVE to hear Ever Dream, your interpretation is so awesome)

    ReplyDelete
  59. Hi Nettie, this history talk about you!!!!
    You must be yourself forever, don't change for the others because you'll make happy the others not you!!

    This poem is fantastic!!!!!!

    kiss, Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  60. Hi Anette,

    How are you?

    Nice picture!!
    kiss
    Isabelle

    ReplyDelete
  61. the photo was in Paris on 23/03/09! I was and it was super!

    kiss

    Isabelle

    ReplyDelete
  62. Ja, vem drömmer inte om att sjunga varje dag? Det skulle vara underbart att sjunga för människor som uppskattar det man gör.
    Du är bra, tycker jag :)
    Gör det du gör och vi som gärna lyssnar på din röst fortsätter med det :)

    ReplyDelete
  63. Wow, that kinda touched me! I'm very happy you just stayed your self all the time and you still do, you are awesome like this, never change!! :D
    I love NW now for like 10 years but I don't think I would still liked them if you sang just like Tarja. You've got your own beautiful and powerfull voice which is great!

    ~Night*Star~

    ReplyDelete
  64. Don't ever change, 'cause we all love you just the way you are and nothing is going to change it. :)
    And don't ever let those "stop that screaming"- comments deject you! You can't please everyone, but you have always your fans, friends and family supporing and surely taking care of you. Just keep on rockin'! :)

    And greetings from Finlands Lapland ;)

    (Oh, and sorry if there was any writing mistakes. I have still two years school left, so my english isn't so good yet.. :) )

    ReplyDelete
  65. Fin dikt! :)
    Fortsätt att rocka på! Jag föredrar klassiskt skolade röster men du har fått mig att uppskatta belting röster också.
    Dock så tycker jag alltid att det är intressant att utveckla rösten och pröva på så många tekniker som möjligt. Men man ska självklart sjunga det man trivs med! :)

    ReplyDelete
  66. This is one of the most beautiful poem I ever read...=)
    I love your voice and the way you sing!
    Be yourself, don't listen other people!
    *big hug*

    ReplyDelete
  67. This blog entry of yours really is one of my favorites. I think every single fan that complains about the fact you have this rockish style of yours and not a classical-balladesque one, should read this entry and get it once and for all. It's your way to share feelings, we like it, you like it, no one should ever feel the need to change anything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  68. The world told you that you had some big shoes to fit and you smiled and said, "Why? I brought my own!"

    ReplyDelete
  69. Hey :)
    That's such a beautiful idea to write your life story as a fairytale and in the style of Dark Chest Of Wonders! I loved that!
    I wonder if I liked your voice if it was trained to be classical. I don't know, maybe yes, maybe not; I can't say cause your voice is of such a beautiful color so that it perhaps could sound great as a opera voice, too. However I probably wouldn't, I don't like opera that much. I prefer strong, melodic, rock voices that can cut the silence and fill you with energy and joy - just like your voice does! :)

    ReplyDelete
  70. and you are so right to do the way you want to !
    you're great ! no need to change anything :)
    i really really really understand what you are talking about, even though i'm not a singer as gifted as you are... i love trying to go further, to go higher... it gives such a good feeling... thanks to you, i also know that i have not to care about people who think i should do differently, the most important is to live your dreams and do things wich make you happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  71. Wow, that's one great poem! It's kinda sad, but at the same moment it feels like it's pretty joyfull too.. Or sth..
    Just stay who you are, cause that's the person we all love so much!

    xx,
    Nouky

    ReplyDelete
  72. Anette, PLEASE...never stop singing like you do, with your heart, true to yourself and still learning new things..but these things I´m sure won´t make you a different singer...just better at what you do and how you do it. I´m really happy you came to Nightwish, not only because the band kept going by finding this awesome singer.....but because through Nightwish..I got to meet your voice...and I´m happy I did. I´m glad you seem to be strong enough to always stay true to yourself.... I´d be proud if I were you ;). Rock on girl!!!!

    Gus

    ReplyDelete
  73. I love your voice how it is, you sing how you want to sing. We don't want you to try to sound like someone else, we want to hear your voice.

    - Jake

    ReplyDelete
  74. You are a wonderful girl, and your voice is lovely :)

    keep on rockin' anette :E

    ReplyDelete
  75. Wow! Let me tell you, that is such a weird coincidence ... my favourite singer - this kinda crazy but drop - dead gorgeous blonde Swede - her life story is just like that!
    If I could tell that girl in your story , or my favourite singer , anything at all right now , it would be that it's FANTASTIC how she's never changed for anyone , and how she is the best she could ever be when she is herself , and that she is so LOVED by me and tons of other people =)
    Theoretically, of course ...
    Love ya,
    - Suzy C. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  76. You're definitely the cutest ;)


    Lucinda

    ReplyDelete
  77. OMG, I've never seen this post before! This is so beautiful, Anette, I'm in tears... You are an amazing person and an amazing singer, don't ever change. :) We love you the way you are ;D
    Kisses! (:

    ReplyDelete